Inside the mind of a running start student, 2 sport athlete

Zitlaly Valeriano-Reyes, Journalist

How is it having to do running start, work, and two sports? Let’s take an inside look at how a senior at Renton High has to feel about having a very busy schedule. Zirce Valeirano, a senior here at Renton High has done running start for two years, works a part time job and does two sports. She plans on attending college as a first generation in her family, while going to school for soccer. She has her dream of going as far as she can in soccer, she still isn’t sure what college she wants to commit to but she is planning on it to take a big step to getting into a career of her choice. She has many ideas of what she wants to study but hasn’t come down quite yet to a choice.

How do you manage running start, work, and 2 sports?

Trying out systems. I’ve learned what time it’s best to do something rather than doing something else. Planning out my week helps a lot but waking up and then planning my day best off the previous day helps a lot. Because although I might have a plan set for the next day, it might not be the best fit going of the previous day.

Do you ever get stressed out with all of it? 

Although it does get very stressful at times, because I need to get to one place on time and be on top of my grades from school, I’ve learned what times I work best at for everything. This way when I am doing something I am doing it with my best effort rather than wronky and not having it turn out then have to re do it. It does get stressful because sometimes people at work give me a hard time, or the drill I am doing at soccer just won’t come out good, but it’s going to happen with a busy schedule

Do you have a plan for after high school?

I plan to attend college and play college soccer, I’ve applied for many schools and luckily I have been accepted to many it just a matter of where I wanna go, and where I think is best for my school and soccer career

Are you attending college?

My goal is to attend college. I have looked into many colleges and what’s best for me. I don’t want to go too far from home but I also don’t wanna stay too close to home. So we’ll see where I end up

Do you have a career goal?

I have many things I want to do, I don’t know if i wanna start my own business or go work for a company. I’m not really sure about a career out of school just yet, I’m still kind of planning it. I wanna go to school and see more about careers to see which one I think most fits me

That’s all when I asked a student here at Renton High who is very busy with two sports, work, and running start, how her life is with such a busy schedule, if she has plans for after high school, or if she knows what she wants to do after college. We can take a lot from this interview, one how stressful it can get doing two sports with work. Knowing it’s healthy to take breaks for

Valeriano on her senior night for high school soccer:

yourself to not get overworked by yourself. Making sure you have plans even if they don’t go as planned, and having back up plans and ideas. Being able to manage your time is very helpful for yourself because if not you will be stressed and Zirce seems to have a good system going on.