RHS Drama Class

Aniyah Barrington, Journalist, Photographer

An Insight Into Our School’s Drama Class

Why should you be interested in our drama class/club? Theater exists to show collaborative art that combines words, voice, movement, and visual elements to express meaning. Our drama class is essential to show everyone’s creativity and let you express yourself without being judged, which Renton classes should be like.

I interviewed some of our current Renton high school students that are a part of drama class to see how they feel about drama/theater as a class and as a whole. The students were Julissa Runninghawk, Denise Chavez Guillen, and Neteah Ford. They are 10th graders that attend Renton High School and are in the same 5th-period drama class. These students have similar experiences throughout the class and face the same challenges.

̈What words describe drama class? ̈

Denise described the class as, ̈ Fun, lighthearted, exiciting, and unpredictable ̈. Neteah also thought the class was fun, but she added, ̈Funny, amusing, and loud. ̈ Julissa said, ̈Fun, good environment, creativity. ̈

“What types of challenges do you face on stage?”

Julissa expresses her fears in drama class by saying, “While on stage, I talk pretty fast.” Neteah and Julissa are very similar, and she explains that one of her biggest challenges is being nervous.

Denise doesn’t have the same challenge as Julissa or Neteah, but she says, “Stage fright, we are gonna do a play right now, and I’m afraid I will not remember my shutter stuff and also know my cues.”

“What’s your reasoning for picking drama class?”

Neteah explained that since her friend was in the class, she was interested in it, and also because of our recent lip sync battle hosted by our drama club.

Julissa and Denise both think the class is fun, but Denise talked about why somebody should take the drama class instead of why she did. “It can help with stage fright. It helped me a lot.”

Julissa explained why she picked the class and said, “It’s enjoyable, and I did it last year.” She was also involved in last year’s play, “Clue: The Play” and did a fantastic job being Yvette.

“What are your favorite parts of drama class?”

Julissa talked about what theater/drama is all about and said, “The creativity that we get to do and how we get to express ourselves.” Denise loves “how unpredictable drama class can be in a fun way.”

Neteah ended things by talking about how she enjoys acting, which is why she wanted to be in the class.

Having a space to express your creativity, be yourself, and have fun while in school is essential. If you are interested in group work, acting, and expressing yourself without being judged, I recommend you join the drama club, class, or both!

Sources:

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/SDE/Arts/Guide-to-K12-Program-Development-in-the-Arts/Theatre-
Introduction-and-CPRC.pdf?la=en

https://www.rentonschools.us/locations/ripac

Julissa RunningHawk (10th grader)
Denise Chavez Gullien (10th grader)
Neteah Ford (10th grader)

A Photo of the Main Stage in the IPAC

Photo of the Front Row in the IPAC

Photo of the Back Row of the IPAC