The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Behind the Scenes of BSU

Pictured: BSU’s New Logo for Black History Month from @rentonbsu’s instagram page 

Behind The Scenes of Black Student Union (BSU) 

Renton High School has over 40 unique clubs for its students to join during their stay. These clubs are built to help students create communities after school, as well as during school. There is a vast realm of options for students to choose from Running Club to K-pop, RHS has you  covered.  

From the many clubs here at Renton High School, meet BSU also known as the Black Student Union.  They strive for unity, peace, and love among students. The meetings are held every Wednesday, with their advisor, Mrs. Thornton, in room 211. 

Let’s meet some of the current officers to see how they run a prominent club while being  students. I talked to Maya, the President of BSU, Sean, the Secretary of BSU, and Otagus, an  ambassador for BSU. They talked about BSU and how they run the club here at Renton. 

Starting off the interview with Maya Belete and Sean Taylor let’s see what they have to say. 

Who are you and what is your role for BSU? 

“I’m Maya Belete, I am Junior and the President of BSU.” 

“I’m Sean, a Junior and the Secretary.” 

How long have you been at BSU as an officer? 

Maya said, “I have been in BSU since Freshman year, & became an officer in my sophomore year.” Sean said, “Been in BSU since Sophomore year, became an officer junior year which is this year.” 

What is your favorite memory of BSU? 

Maya stated, “ My favorite memory was watching everyone argue about Megan and Niki drama during a meeting.” 

Sean replied, “My favorite memory was the scavenger hunt that we did during one of the meetings.” 

Why did you choose BSU? 

Sean said, “What else would I choose?” 

Maya replied, “Yeah, I would say the same as Sean.” 

What are some things people may not know about being President and Secretary of a club? 

Sean answered, “It’s a lot of work…” 

Maya agreed, “ Yeah it’s a lot of work. A club is built off of people who know each other and are friends.” 

Sean then agrees, having the same thoughts. 

What kind of work do you have to do to prepare for a club meeting/gathering? 

Maya said, “ Figuring out the main activity for the meeting, and getting people to come to the meeting.  We are also doing PR right now as well.” 

Sean said, “Making slides for the meeting and getting set-up. Also getting people to come to the  meetings.” 

Does being an officer affect your life outside of school?  

Maya replied, “Yes, it equips you with skills that you never gotten otherwise.” 

Sean answered, “ Causes a bit of stress but I get to know more people and build a sense of community.” 

Maya continued, “After getting the meeting ready, it’s really fun.” 

What inspired you to become an officer?

Maya said,“I felt a sense of responsibility and chose to become a president.” 

Sean said,“There was an open position, and I applied.” 

What would you recommend to someone wanting to start a club? 

Maya replied, “Find reliable officers and an advisor, and be 10 steps ahead.” Sean agrees with Maya’s response.

If you could go back to when you started, what would you do differently if at all? 

Maya stated, “Only invest in things that invest in me back, everything that I put in now gives me  things back, rather than before I didn’t get anything. Also don’t take things personally,  everything is a learning moment.” 

Sean replied, “ I would try to make my time management better. Try to separate the club from school.” 

After I finished my talk with Sean and Maya, I headed over to talk with a newer member, Otagus  Coverson. 

Who are you and what is your role at BSU? 

Otagus said,“My name is Otagus Coverson, and I am an ambassador.” 

How long have you been at BSU and as an officer? 

Otagus replied,“Since September of this school year, and a few months of being an officer as the election recently happened.” 

What is your favorite memory of BSU?  

Otagus answered,“My favorite memory is a kahoot on black history figures.” 

Why did you choose BSU? 

Otagus replied, “I chose BSU because it was a good opportunity to learn more about black history and  culture while getting non people of color involved.”

What are some things people may not know about being in your position? 

Otagus said,“More evolved in BSU than one might think as just an ambassador.” 

What kind of work do you have to do to prepare for a club meeting/gathering? Otagus replied,“We promote the club for new members and provide ideas for future meetings.” 

Otagus answered,“No really people still view me the same, no extra work, but being expected to be at every meeting.” 

What inspired you to become an officer?” 

Otagus said,“I wanted to be more part of BSU as a member and becoming an officer was that way.” 

Otagus replied, “Do something you are passionate about, and find others who have that same passion. It  can help you think about your future career paths involving the club.” 

Otagus answered, “No, not really doing anything differently, since it’s still my first year as an ambassador.” 

Running a club takes a lot of work and determination from the few officers who run it.  Looking back on this interview, we can see that BSU officers work really hard to form, plan, and  make their meetings happen.  This is just one club at Renton that I took a look at.  Considering the vast amount of clubs with different purposes, the style in which a club is run could be much different and complex. Thanks to BSU we can see a snippet of what goes on behind the scenes of a Renton High School club. If you want to learn more about BSU or even join, you can contact them through Instagram at @rentonbsu.