FSU students teach RHS teachers their Tinikling dance

Samantha Guadiz and Jomar Olipares, sophomore members from the FSU Club, spend their time teaching the Renton High  School teachers their cultural dance.

On October 11, 2018, Ms. Shaw and the FSU Club offered an amazing event that allowed the teachers at Renton High School to learn from the students.

The Filipino Club has made a dedication to devote their time on a weekly basis to teach the RHS teachers their culture dance. A few of the teachers who showed up to participate were Ms. Licano-Sanchez, Ms. Tunis and Ms. Hernandez. They showed up to support the club and learn some new skills.

Throughout this event, the teachers who were participating were so interested to learn the dance. Also, the FSU members were extremely excited to offer their time to teach them as well.

¨I can see that they were so excited to learn from us today,¨ shared Samantha, a member of FSU.

While the FSU members teach the teachers, they demonstrated a great connection by having interactive conversation and showing the moves for the dance, step-by-step. While the teachers were dancing, the FSU members cheer them along. The teachers were excellent listeners and followed the rules of the dance.

¨Teaching a teacher the culture dance makes me us proud of our country and our people,” said Samantha and Jomar.

From the beginning of the practice, the teachers kept making mistakes. Then, after practicing for 30 minutes, they got the first half of the dance.

This endeavor to teach the teachers that FSU is leading represents important ideals that help to make the school community strong and share care for each other.

¨Working together as one is a good effort,¨ shared Ms. Licano-Sanchez.

The teacher at Renton High always care for their students’ futures. In this event, the students are giving back and creating a space for both teachers and students to work together in a fun, creative way. FSU Club made a big step in spreading knowledge and teaching about their culture.

The FSU Club as well their adviser, Ms. Shaw, shared how it is great to have this opportunity to care for each other and enjoy life together.

¨Participating in this event make me feels happy and joyful,¨ said Ms. Tunis.