AGAPE WEEK: Basketball Tournament, Pizza Party and other fun

Delaney Connell

Watching the basketball game

Emma Austin, Editor-in-Chief

This 2019 Agape Week has certainly been special, all about celebrating the kind of love that people choose to express daily, one that is genuine, and pure.

Monday, our annual guest speaker was civic leader, success coach, speaker and author, Dr. John Push Gaines, who spoke of facing adversity and PUSH-ing through with Renton High School students. Ms. Neuschwander, ASB Advisor and Teacher, shared that she heard his story after attending a conference, and felt his was a perfect fit to inspire RHS students this year.

“…he reminds me of you all…” Ms. Neuschwander exclaimed to the audience.

Other important event, two days later, Renton’s Boy Basketball Team left for the State Championship tournament in Yakima, WA, after beating Mark Morris Senior High School 55-53 a week earlier.

Because of the tournaments placement in the middle of agape week, on Wednesday, RHS principal Ms. San Martin decided to suggest a school wide viewing of the game through livestream.

“I just made the decision, with much support,” explained Ms. San Martin.

She spoke with her team of administration, teachers, and staff who were more than willing to fit the event into their learning schedule. For that, she said she was grateful, especially to have such a supportive team around her.

“the staff was responsive and happily ready…” shared Ms. San Martin.

Along with the livestreaming the game in the gym— for lunch students ate catered pizza for the ‘school-wide pizza party.’ Then depending on if they were interested in watching the game, they chose to either stay in the lunchroom or head to the gym.

Ms. San Martin encouraged students to attend and be present.

“…the aim is to build school spirit and relationships with each other,” and “I hope they take it seriously,” replied Ms. San Martin, after sharing the announcement.

The game started at around 12:15pm, Renton High School against Burlington-Edison High School, and ended at around 1:40 with a win for Renton 57-52.

Throughout the game, in the crowd you could hear claps, cheers, and hollers for the players every time they made a shot, scored, and successfully blocked the other team. It showed that the event definitely succeeded in unifying students, encouraging actions of spirit, and creating a sense of togetherness.

As Ms. San Martin described it earlier, “this event will give us the opportunity to unite our high hopes for our team, but most importantly, to be a caring community that seeks for opportunities of togetherness and contentment.