The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

RHS Basketball State Championship

(Picture of RHS Basketball Court, taken by photographer Jayda Evans)

At Renton high school our coaches within every sport have the main focus of implementing discipline and brotherhood. In 1967, the Renton basketball team took the state championship and since then the closest we came was in 2019 when the boys basketball team placed 3rd. After that defeat, Renton high school has made multiple attempts at the state championship and just couldn’t get it done. During the 2021-2022 season, Renton high school picked up two leading scorers by the names of Dennis’s Johnson and Ajaya Simmons. With the help of those two Renton high school students, they dominated their competition going 23-2 and ended up getting a shot at winning state. Although they were knocked out in the first round, Renton high school has come back in their 2023-24 season with a roster full of dominant players. So far they’ve been able to maintain a record of 6-2 and head coach Rashaad Powell plans on leading his team to the state championship, so he can prove that a state championship comeback is surely possible with him as the head coach at RHS.

(Picture of RHS Basketball hoop & score board, taken by photographer Jayda Evans)