The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

RHS Spring Sports Update

RHS Spring Sports, by Jayda Evans

It’s that time of the year again! Track & Field, Baseball, Soccer, Golf, Softball/Fastpitch and Tennis are back in session. Athletes all around are gearing up for an exciting season of competition. In this article we’ll get to know about a few of the coaches’ passions and experiences with their sport. Lets jump right in! 

I interviewed the girls track coach (Keith Eager), the tennis coach (Bao Trinh), and the softball coach (Dan Villalobos). I started off by asking each of them how long they have been coaching their sport at Renton High School. Coach Eager answered, ‘’This is my second year as the girls head coach and it’s my 35th year coaching track.’’ Coach Trinh answered, “This will be my third year coaching the girls team.’’ Lastly, Coach Villalobos answered, ‘’my 4th year as head coach.’’ I then asked Coach Eager what his favorite part about coaching is.  His response was, ‘’I like the challenge of teaching kids proper technique and watching their improvements. I also get to know athletes better as their coach, than as their teacher.’’ I asked Coach Trinh how she would confront poor sportsmanship during a game.  She responded, ‘’Poor sportsmanship is not tolerated, period. Anyone displaying poor sportsmanship will be pulled aside and will have a private discussion.’’ I also asked Coach Eager how he would describe his coaching style. He answered, ‘’I consider myself to be a technical coach. I try to watch throwers to see what they are doing and how to make corrections/adjustments to help them improve.’’ Finally, I asked Coach Trinh what she was looking forward to in this year’s spring sport season. Trinh answered, ‘’I am looking forward to seeing how much returning players have improved and teaching new players all the skills they need to be successful, and of course for everyone to bond and have fun!’’ 

The coaches are very excited for what is to come this spring sports season. They care for all of their players and their dedication for the sport shapes athletes both on and off the field! Not only do they teach the sport, but they teach teamwork, passion and discipline. 

If you are interested in signing up for one of the spring sports, go to the Renton High School home page, click on “athletics’’ and then click on “registration/ clearance.’’