The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

RHS RedHawks Track

Ever thought about joining the Renton High School track team? We interviewed some RHS track team students to help draw attention to this sport. Renton track consists of events such as sprints races, distance races, throwing, and jumping events. Our athletes spend three months practicing and competing. Practices begin in February and end in May.  Mr. Winmill is the Cross Country and Track Distance coach and he was recently put into the track associates Washington State Hall of Fame. 

Maizey Wheeler is a sophomore distance runner and I asked her what inspired her to join our track team? Maizey replied, “I joined Cross Country and I fell in love with running, which then attracted me to join track.“ 

I interviewed Senior, Caleb Reed and Junior, Joley Connel. I asked them what advice they would give to someone considering to join track. Caleb said,Advice I would give to someone wanting to join track is you never know what you’re going to be good at, so just try everything.“ Joley said, “Advice I’d give to someone wanting to join the track is the results don’t come right away. You’ll have to practice a lot to start seeing results, but it pays off!“ 

Dereon Garett is a freshman who joined the team and proved he deserved to be on the team. I asked Dereon if he saw any new benefits since joining the team. Dereon said, “Some benefits from joining track is it makes you keep your grades up because you have to be eligible, so it helps you keep your grades up.” Track is a sport that will hold you accountable and will prioritize your education along with showing up to practice. 

If you’re considering joining RHS track, follow this link : https://renton-wa.finalforms.com/

Go RedHawkS track team! 

Interviewees: 

• Caleb Reed (12th grade)
  • Dereon Garett (9th grade)
  • Joley Connel (11th grade)
  • Maizey Wheeler (10th grade)