DECA International qualifiers for RHS students

Lauren Wetzel, Staff Writer

Six students have qualified for DECA Internationals at the end of April.

The students who qualified are Elian Chen, Aaron Jenkins, Rhandi Rosemond, Emma Austin, Jadalyn Tu, and Catherine Dang.

DECA is a club that prepares students to lead and learn about business and marketing. It is a popular club that has chapters all over the US, including one at Renton High School. In late April the six students will travel to Orlando, Florida to compete.

As Emma Austin, DECA President, and officer explained,

“(herself), Elian Chen, and Aaron Jenkins re-certified for a School Based Paper otherwise known as SBE, project this year, which consisted of writing an 12 page paper. That earned us three a spot at the international competition, where we will present. Three of our other members Rhandi Rosemond, Jadalyn Tu, and Catherine Dang, will be attending leadership conferences while we’re in Florida. Me and the boys will be competing, and giving a SBE presentation about our student store, to a panel of judges.”

DECA and the marketing class run the student store and gain skills to run an actual business through this. They involve experiential learning into the classroom to help get students more engaged.

As Austin says, “We learn about the real world first-hand, including traveling, and studying the world of business day-to-day. It’s a unique and important opportunity that I would recommend to anyone and everyone who wants to succeed in a wide variety of careers and jobs.”

DECA is a budding club at Renton High School, and it is very exciting that so many students have qualified for this international competition. If any student wants more information they can contact Mr. Lindsey, the club adviser, or the president, Emma Austin.

“I love DECA because of the connections, the life-long friends, and the relationships I’ve gained in being a leader and part of the program,” Austin shared in closing.