Lafayette Jones joins the members of the AWSL student leaders program

Rahjia Evans-Crockett, Staff Writer

AWSL or Association of Washington Student Leaders is a program that features students from a number of schools who represent their school in this program. Every year, sophomores are allowed to apply for the position to be a leader at AWSL. AWSL picks the top 5 students who write an acceptance letter from each school and those students get to travel to Olympia and are asked to present a current problem that is occurring at their school. At the end of this meeting, they come together and discuss the different problems and are asked to present ways to fix those problems.

A 16 year old student, named Lafayette Jones was lucky enough to be apart of the top 5 to represent Renton High. Lafayette went through the process of sending in her acceptance letter and got to experience discussing problems that occur at Renton High and ways to fix those problems.

The position that Lafayette applied for on February 14th, which was the Student Representative to the State Board of Education, unfortunately she did not get. But, a little over three months later on June 4th, she received an email about a higher position occurring at AWSL where the top two representatives get to meet with the Governor and Principals to present their issues and suggest ways to fix them.

The position that Lafayette possesses right now requires her to attend quarterly meetings in Olympia with the Governor and Principals. She will possess this position until she is a graduate from Renton High.

To maintain this position, you must distribute leadership qualities like responsibility, stating your opinion and being able to work with others, which the board of AWSL found in Lafayette.

Lafayette is excited to be participating in this program and feels as if she’ll learn many new things about this 2 year experience.

“I’ll get more insight of the education system, learn to speak up about certain things and also shine light on things that others may overlook” says 16 year old Lafayette Jones.

Lafayette believes she has a different perspective when it comes to Renton High and its community. For example, knowing that many kids at our school are living in poverty and have low income is something that is overlooked and will help Lafayette to create ideas relating to this issue at our school, like free and reduced lunch.

Lafayette states that she is just a regular high school kid, not participating in any sports or clubs, and this experience will not only give her something to be apart of, but it’ll help our school and most importantly help Lafayette find her voice.