Renton High School’s Culinary Club

Keera Pienh, Writer

What is a culinary club and why do we have one? The purpose of having a culinary club is to provide students the opportunity to learn both basic cooking skills and specific cooking styles and techniques from a trained chef. I have interviewed a few officers and members that are involved with RHS’s culinary club with similar questions and here are some of their thoughts and opinions on the club.

Antonio Delgado is a Senior at RHS, this is his 4th year in the club, and he is currently president of the culinary club. He was asked the questions, “What is a Culinary club to you? What is your favorite thing or memory you have while being in the club?, and “Would you recommend this club to students at Renton High? Why or why not?”

He states, “Culinary club to me is a place to be myself without worries. I joined the club because of my longtime childhood friend Thien and my love for cooking”.  

One of his favorite memories in the club is going to Oregon to compete in a baking competition during his freshman year. He says, “The club impacts the school by forming a community of people who can count on each other”. 

Thien Nguyen is a senior at RHS, this is his 4th year in the club, and he is also president/Co-Pres of the culinary club. He was asked similar questions, along with adding his input on how he thinks this club impacts Renton High School.

To him, “Culinary club is a way to meet new people and help the community out in the form of cooking/catering. In the club we always have new faces joining to learn how to cook, help out and get community service hours, or just people who want to express their love for the art.” 

His friends encouraged him to join this club because they were in it and really enjoyed the environment there and wanted to share their experience with him too. He says, “That’s what I hope to accomplish as well, giving people a nice environment to cook, meet others, and have fun.” 

One of his favorite memories from the culinary club was also going to Oregon to compete. Every year those with 90+ hours go down to Oregon to make a dish that they assign and put their own twist on it, they then get judged on different criteria to see how our dishes fare against others. “This memory is my favorite because not only was it a chance for me to compete against others and test out my own cooking skills but it was an opportunity to bond with my fellow club members that went and to just get a lot closer with all of them, from us practicing to compete to then going to Oregon, it was a whole process and experience which helped me get to know them a really deep personal level”. 

Thien views this club as having a profound impact on RHS because The Essence of Renton (RHS culinary club) caters to almost all of Renton High’s major events. They make food for some of Renton’s largest events, most recently they catered for an IB event at the school which had representatives of IB from all over the country come to our school and meet, in which they cooked and served for them. 

Along with, he thinks that “This club has a major impact on almost everyone that joins it because although we have to stay serious and professional to cook and prepare for events it’s a lot of fun! It’s great to be able to cook with your friends and others while still getting community service hours and helping out.”

2021- 2022 Culinary Club IB catering event

He lastly mentions that he would definitely recommend this club to a friend or student because of how welcoming the environment is and all of the fun that he has had there helping around. 

After interviewing each member of the Renton High Schools culinary club I have learned that the club has more to offer than just cooking. Many people have formed new friendships and bonds, new memories to add to their list of high school experiences, and the opportunity to improve on their own personal skills. What are your thoughts on RHS’s Culinary Club now? Do you think you would consider joining?