Do You Ever Wonder What It Is Like To Work In The Medical Field? Here We Will Give You An Idea Of What To Expect.

Valerie Alvarez Figueroa, Journalist

Electroneurotechnologist putting cords on a patient. 

What is it like working in the medical field for over a decade? Colleen Foldvik will give you advice and tell you about her experiences and her job itself. Working in the Medical Field isn’t easy, long hours, stressful days, and much more. It’s a lot. Electroneurodiagnostic technologists use various machines to assess electrical patterns in the brain to diagnose patients with some sort of central nervous system disorder. I had the chance to interview Colleen Foldvik who works as an Electroneurodiagnostic technologist and here is what she had to say.

What is your career and what is it like?
I work as an Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist. We use machines to monitor a patient’s nervous system. The workplace is quite fast-paced and extremely patient-care-oriented.

What do you like about your Job?
I like that it’s fast-paced, I also like that it requires technical skills and soft skills which are good together.

How long did it take you to become an Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist?
For about 2 years, I only needed my Associate’s degree. It doesn’t take long and it’s great.

What was the most interesting thing that happened at your job?
We would wake patients up during brain surgery. We do that to monitor and map the patient’s brain regions.

How long have you worked as an Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist?
I’ve worked at that for over a decade, it wasn’t my first set job though. I’ve worked as a preschool teacher for a while but I’ve worked in many different settings. For example, I worked in the bank, and in a flower shop as well.

What advice would you give to aspiring students who want to work in the Medical field?
There are a lot of careers in the medical field and many unconventional ways to go and get that job in the field. Be open-minded when you are presented with something so your brain can go through everything because if you look at it like it’s a hammer everything is going to look like a nail. Also, Be observant. You will be using tactile and technical knowledge and skills.

Now that you know some advice about working in the medical field and the specific skills you need, do you think you would want to work in the medical field? Typically it takes 10-14 years to become a Doctor and to become an ElectroNeurodiagnostic it only takes a high school diploma and a 2-year program! Their starting salary is about $77,000 Per Year! That’s why an Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist might be the right career for you.

Source For Interview: Colleen Foldvik, Works as a Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist.
Source For Picture: Google