The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

RHS Aerospace Boeing Internship

RHS Aerospace Boeing Internship

What is aerospace?

Renton High School provides a variety of courses, one being Aerospace/Advanced Manufacturing. This class helps students learn new hands-on skills such as riveting and drilling and all sorts of things to help build planes. Boeing sponsors this CTE course from their establishment, they have been scouting for future interns to work at Boeing from schools all around the state including Renton High school.

Information about the internship:

The Renton High School page states that “Boeing invites students from select Boeing-partnered high schools and community/technical colleges in Washington state to take part in manufacturing student development programs. Since 2015, more than 250 students have participated in a Boeing manufacturing student development program”. This year the 6 week internship would take place from June 26 – August 8. Boeing is the largest aerospace company, with over 155,000 employees across the US and many more around the world with 65,000 in Washington state. Boeing works on commercial airplane, defense security and has global services. Boeing is looking for these skills:

-Riveting   -Blueprint reading   -Precision Measuring   -Know shop safety

-Quality Control   -Team work    -Willingly asking questions

You can learn all these skills in the coreplus Aerospace course. There are many career types in Boeing like medical, cooking, piloting, and even video production. They have many benefits including paying 25,000 for college tuition.

Who is the teacher?

The class is lead by Johnny Booker who has been an CTE Instructor for 23 years, starting in texas in 2001 September 11. He has his Master’s degree in Education Technology and his Bachelor Degree from 1987. He has won many educator rewards. I believe students should know more about the new teacher this year so I decided to interview him. I first asked him what he thought is the most important part of his job and he replied with “Being very careful to understand students’ unique learning styles and needs so that I do not fail to help them succeed” (Booker) He shows great courage to make sure his students can become the best they can be successfully, wanting to support them through all the way at his best ability. He claims that his days are usually filled with mornings teaching construction, lunch planning, learning design and afternoons teaching aerospace, he is very a busy man always striving to make the most out of his days, learning new skills to bring to his class. Mr Booker has met a lot of people in his life, but there was always one who played a big role in his life: “My mother was a fabulous Spanish teacher in Texas and my grandmother taught art -Those two were my inspiration to help people discover their abilities and succeed”. Since many people seemed interested in the boeing internship we asked him If it’s true students can partake in the internship, if so how? He responded with “Yes they can. I have the paperwork and weblinks for applying for internships in my lab at the entrance.” so now you know where to go. I then asked if he had any final words for students who want to join aerospace, he replied with “The world is yours. You can choose any career that matches you since aerospace involves every career and you can choose anywhere in the world to live and work”.

Picture of Paris Magazine                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Picture of Paris Newspaper featuring Mr. Booker

Paris News February 2006:

“The Paris News reported on my teaching methods and world travels in this full

page article in February of 2006.”

Sources:

https://a21stcenturyeducat.wixsite.com/johnnybooker

https://rentonhs.rentonschools.us/career-center/internships

Boeing Committee Presentation