The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Fentanyl Crisis

Seattle has a problem! Not only is it a problem, it’s a major crisis! Fentanyl is an opioid drug that was approved by the F.D.A (food and drug administration) to relieve pain. The drug is being abused and killing people left and right. Fentanyl is an addictive drug that is either abused in high doses or mixed with other substances like cocaine, alcohol, or heroin. This is very dangerous and has led to many overdoses and deaths in King County.

Picture of fentanyl addicts in the streets of King County. 

Photo credits: Seattle Times

Our biggest concern is the rise in deaths. It’s also crazy to learn that humans aren’t the only ones affected and killed by this crisis. On October 2, 2023, King 5 reported that a 3-month-old puppy overdosed on fentanyl. The puppy licked the blue pill on the steps of their apartments and overdosed. This is scary to everyone because if pets can be exposed to the drug so can young children. Although all of this is being reported on the news, nothing is being done to help this crisis. ” We already have people dying on our streets and in their homes who will continue to die in the absence of a well-funded plan,” said Marcus Green of the Seattle Times. He’s right! The only way lives can be saved is if the government and law enforcement step in to help the people. Marcus Green also stated that the opioid crisis is killing at least 3 King County residents each day.

Graph showing the rise of deaths from fentanyl.

Photo credits: The Seattle Times

This means that at least 21 people are killed by fentanyl weekly. Fox News also reported that 2023 is the deadliest year when it comes to fentanyl overdoses. Considering 2023 is not over yet, this should be the biggest eye-opener.

In conclusion, fentanyl has taken over the streets of King County and change needs to happen!  The only way things could get better is if a plan is created and executed to help people. In the meantime, don’t ever touch Fentanyl or ANY drug. If you or anyone you know needs help, call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration at 1-800-662-4357 . Again, stay away from drugs and make sure to be safe!

Picture of paramedics trying to save people from fentanyl overdoses.  

Photo credits: The Seattle Times