The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Insight of the Kinship Caregiver Winter Festival

Winterfest, a kinship family appreciation event was hosted at Dimmitt middle school. This event is very special as it brings families and caregivers together. It was filled with wonderful people and all of the guests were extraordinarily nice and respectful. Truly it was astonishing to see everyone get along and truly bring everyone together as people took their time to honor others.    

Guests seated at the event 

The set up and decorations of the event       

Seeing the looks on peoples faces as they walked in were priceless! Their smiles were so bright that it was truly amazing to be able to see all the families having a good time. While I went around from family to family, they all had something positive to say about this event. I spoke with Brenda who said: “My favorite part is being able to get together with everyone else.” I also spoke to Casnadra who had not been invited until the day of the Winterfest! She said to me, “It was wonderful to be recognized and feel welcomed. I loved seeing everyone here today.¨ As I was interviewing those wonderful people, I could not help but smile hearing all the delightful things they had to say and how happy it makes them to be part of the Winterfest. 

Family seated the event 

Family seated at the event 

As this event went on, I noticed the amazing shops organized in the event. One question came to my mind and that was: ¨Are they paying with real money?¨ I went on and figured out from Imani and Caliyah that kinship caregivers are given fake money to use. It was interesting to figure out that guests did not have to use real money for any items they bought! The shops were incredible to get to know of and look at, for instance, some sold paintings from artists all over the world! Another shop that I had the chance to see was a beauty shop, where I learned many interesting insights about it. The owner says, ¨I came here to provide toxic free products. Most products sold from other places have toxic chemicals and are bad for our skin.¨ You can find more information about the owner´s shop: @Thebeautyofmyblackness. 

Shops setting up before the event

A shop selling pieces of art 

After brunch, kids and adults had time to play and visit shops or simply chat with each other. There was a game room filled with all sorts of game systems, such as Playstations and Nintendo switches. Another interesting thing that I saw were Barbers! It was wonderful to see kids and adults have the opportunity to get haircuts as well. After some free time, bingo time had started! There were wonderful prizes to be earned, for example, Nintendo switches, Playstation 5s and including cash prizes and shirts! I loved seeing the children having fun while singing karaoke. 

Guests playing Bingo at the event 

Queen Cohorts singing during Bingo activity at the event 

Bingo was a great way to end this festival! It left everyone happy with or without prizes. It was great seeing everyone end this day with a smile on their face and for everyone to finally say a warm goodbye. This festival was marvelous because of how great everyone spread happiness to each other! 

Organization: 

• Dare2Be 

Interviewees: 

• Cassandra 
  • Imani
  • Caliyah
  • Brenda 

Kinship Caregiver: 

• Sherry Dion