The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Winmills Washington State Hall of Fame Award

Hey Redhawks! Do you know that our very own Boys Cross Country and Track coach Mr. Winmill is being inducted into the Washington State Track and Field Coaches Association Hall of Fame? Well he is!  He sure does deserve it!  He has won 7 league titles in Cross Country, and the boys Track team was in the top 8 teams in the state 7 times between 2002-2011, on top of many more accomplishments! Here is a little of what he had to say: 

• What’s your favorite part about coaching? 

¨Working with the students athletes out of the classroom, getting to know them, and helping them make goals.¨

• What’s the most challenging part ?

´´It’s a time commitment away from the family, but the big challenge is that everyone is an individual, so trying to figure out the best plan and motivation for each athlete is another challenge. And the things I can’t control like how much they eat, sleep, drink or how much sleep they get.´´

• What’s your most surprising moment in coaching?

´´The first time I had a state champion was pretty surprising and maybe how fast we turned the boys track team around, but this hall of fame award is definitely up there.´´

• What have you learned about your coaching over the years?

´´Just knowing that there is more then one way to provide the same type of  workouts to get kids better, listing to athletes and having help planned on how they want to be trained.´´

• What advice would you give to a new coach?

´´Be patient, assume positive intent with each kid, and don’t assume everyone’s life outside of the sport is the same as yours.´´ 

•  What’s the number one advice you would give a new runner? 

´´ Be consistent, don’t over do it at the start, and listen to your coach.´´

• What made you want to be a coach?

´´ I love sports and I just had some really good coaches. It seemed like a good fit and I wanted to partake in other aspects in my students life.´´

• What was your favorite moment in your track/xc years? 

´´Running on varsity and the team, making friends, and having those memories and having life long friends.´´

•  Do you prefer coaching xc or track and why?

´´I like them both a lot for different aspects. Cross Country is nice because everyone has the same role as running a 5k, it’s really about beating your own time. For track is really about being a team, also it’s a such a different mix of personalities and different types of athletes.´´

Winmill is very loved and appreciated by his student athletes! They also have little something to say:

‘’He’s pretty chill, he got me interested in long distance running and he is just a super great coach.” 

Yafeth Rivera Dias (10th grader) 

“He is super supportive and he is always there for you.”

Ricky Nunez Pillado (9th grader)

“I think he is a really good coach!  He has great bonds with everyone on the team and he is always there to support you.” 

Austin Abellon (11th grader) 

“He really influenced me into the world of running. He always pushes me and everyone to their best and he is always there if you need anything. He is just a great guy.”

Angel Perez (12th grader)

Writing this article was such a pleasure especially hearing what some of his runners had to say and hearing more of the behind scenes of Winmill’s coaching. I can’t wait to see where his future takes him! 

( A photo of Lance Winmill – Renton High School Teacher and Coach)