The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Backlash Against Olivia Rodrigo Is It Really That Serious?

Who doesn’t love an artist who makes music that we can relate to? Especially when the artist has pure intentions and a target audience. Having a target audience is very important to celebrities because their large platform will attract people who understand and/or relate to them. However, there will always be that one person in the comments who will hate on them because they are expected to behave a certain way.

In case you aren’t aware of her, Olivia Rodrigo is a musician with a history of being an actress. She was 12 years old when she started acting. She then became an actress for Disney Channel from 2016-2022. During her acting career in “High School Musical: The Musical,” Olivia released her hit single, “All I Want” that hit the Billboard Top 100. Good for her! She dropped a WHOLE ALBUM that same year called “Sour” that included her song. Her album touched the hearts of millions, and she gained an audience who loved her work and the meanings behind her songs. Recently, Olivia released her second album called “GUTS” and she’s currently on her world tour.

Here’s the spiel, during her world tour, Olivia gets negative reviews online from angry parents who accompany their children to her shows. The negative reviews are talking about how her performances aren’t “family friendly.” Olivia gets comments about her dances and her outfits and her use of profanity in her music. But here’s the thing, Olivia never said that her shows were family friendly.

The reason why parents would expect her shows to “be more appropriate” was because of the fact that she was an actress from Disney Channel and American Girl. Um… Do you know how old Olivia Rodrigo is? She is 21 years old. She can act however she wants during her shows. If you ask me, she doesn’t need to apologize to anyone, because the parents should have done their research before buying the gosh-darn tickets. And if they decide not to go to the concert, they could RESELL the tickets instead of recording themselves burning them and posting it online, and concert tickets are EXPENSIVE. What a waste of money!

Oliva Rodrigo is loved because of her individuality and talent. And it isn’t her fault that people want her to stay a young girl forever. Olivia is allowed to grow up, no matter what she did in the past. She doesn’t deserve the hate, I’m just stating the obvious. What do you think?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-live-reviews/olivia-rodrigo-guts-world-tour-review-opening-night-1234974993/

https://www.billboard.com/artist/olivia-rodrigo/

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Olivia-Rodrigo

(This is Olivia Rodrigo during her show in Palm Springs, California. Starting off her show with a bang!)