Life as a High School Student During The Pandemic

Rafael Guzman, Writer

This is life as a high school student during the pandemic. The pandemic has been crazy. Especially when being a high school student, you have to worry about your education, getting covid, and some even lost friends and family during this time. Many lost a lot during this pandemic. I’ve interviewed Aldo, a high school student here at RHS and this is what he had to say. 

What is it like going to school during the pandemic? 

“School, in general, is really tiring and the pandemic makes it worse because you have to wear a mask and also, you have to worry about the people around you if they have Covid or if they are sick.”

Do you like online school better? 

“No, because online school was really hard to focus on because I had a lot of distractions and I wasn’t getting my work done as much as in-person school. It also distanced me from my friends.” 

This is interesting because I heard from a lot of friends that people weren’t friends with their other friends anymore because of online school and it was hard to contact and communicate with them. Some were doing their own thing.

Do you like In-Person school better?

“Yes, because in-person school works best for me because I have my friends, It’s easier to communicate with teachers, and I get my work done more often.”

What would you change during this time?

“The only thing I would change is the pandemic because I kind of get worried that I would get Covid and I wouldn’t want anyone to get it.” 

Would you want to go back to online school? 

“No, because it was really distracting and I felt like even some of the teachers were stressed out about it. It feels like you’re trapped in school but you don’t have anywhere to go. The only thing I liked about online school was sleeping in and playing video games all the time. But I’d rather stay in school because I don’t really like staying at home either.”

I agree with this, many were stressing out about online classes and not only the students but many teachers didn’t really like online school because it was hard to communicate with students especially with their cameras off. I saw many teachers sighing all the time and they looked unhappy. 

This interview is important because this is how a high school student was living during the pandemic. During this time Aldo had to worry about the people around him if they had Covid or if they were sick. The pandemic slowed him down during online school because it was hard to communicate with teachers and friends, It was hard to focus and there were many distractions. It was also hard to keep getting work in because he had to worry about the virus. Aldo just wanted things to be normal again and he missed going to school. The pandemic separated him from friends and family. It also took him away from school. 

Students, spend time with your friends and family through a call and see how they’re doing. It can really help them during the pandemic.