Catalytic Converter Crisis

Catalytic Converter Crisis

Mai-Huong Nguyen, Journalist

Everybody, watch out! Theft is happening in the city of Renton and it’s important to be wary. Of course, theft has always been around, but this is going to focus on the theft of a single object, the catalytic converter.

What is a Catalytic Converter?

The catalytic converter has a honeycomb structure that functions to change harmful compounds, such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide, into safe emissions like water vapor, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen. The catalytic converter is located underneath a car, connecting the engine to the exhaust pipe. While it’s possible to drive without a catalytic converter, it’s heavily advised against and even illegal. Driving without a catalytic converter can pose many problems, such as creating an obnoxiously loud noise, starting a fire, and/or leading to carbon monoxide poisoning. Replacing a catalytic converter would cost upwards of $1,000 to $2,000, a hefty price for such a seemingly small and insignificant part.

Diagram depicting the different parts of a catalytic converter

Why are people stealing Catalytic Converters?

The metals in a catalytic converter

Money sure does make the world go round. People usually steal catalytic converters because of the precious metals inside them, platinum, palladium, and rhodium. Compared to the early 2000s, the price of these three metals has increased significantly. For example, platinum  jumped from being $530 per ounce in 2001 to $1,700 in 2011, before lowering back down to $1,100 in 2021. Additionally, palladium shot up from $600 per ounce in 2001 to a whopping $2,400 in 2021. However, rhodium is by far the most valuable of the three, skyrocketing from $1,600 per ounce in 2001 to $18,000 in 2021, reaching its peak at $26,000 that same year. These metals are more valuable than the catalytic converter itself, which is why people decide to sell them to scrap metal companies.

What’s going on in Renton?

Because of the low risk and high reward, many people steal catalytic converters to make a quick buck, and that number is only going up. In 2019, King County had 11 reports of this theft before growing to 285 in 2020 and skyrocketing to 1,425 in 2021. The frequency is rapidly shooting up, so it’s important to be cautious. Any vehicle is at risk, but be especially wary if it has lots of room underneath, such as a Toyota Prius or SUV. The larger space would make it easier to steal the catalytic converter. All someone needs to do is go underneath a vehicle with a hacksaw. Additionally, perpetrators would presumably target isolated areas without surveillance cameras and heavy foot traffic since there would be less chance to get caught.

Examples of SUVs

How does this relate to Renton High School?

You might be thinking, “what does this have to do with me?” or “there’s no way anyone would steal on school property, right?” Wrong! One of our teachers, Ms. Squire, had her catalytic converter stolen in the parking lot behind the cafeteria between lunch and 5th period. Unfortunately, the surveillance cameras didn’t catch a good view of the perpetrator since it was obstructed, so the thief was never found. Overall, the catalytic converter replacement totaled up to the large amount of $1,500. Thankfully, insurance paid for $1,000, but Ms. Squire still had to pay $500 up front. “It was definitely a bummer,” Ms. Squire stated in an interview. She warned everyone to park in places with cameras and to be wary of unfamiliar people walking around parking lots. (See full interview below)

How do you prevent catalytic converter thefts?

Rep. Cindy Ryu proposing HB 1815

It’s hard to prevent thefts alone, especially catalytic converter thefts. Remember to report suspicious people, such as unfamiliar people walking around vehicles, to RHS admins. Luckily, Washington has imposed laws to help prevent catalytic converter thefts by passing bill  HB 1815. District 19 State Senator Jeff Wilson wrote in a news release that the bill plans to “[eliminate] the incentive for catalytic converter theft, by making it extremely difficult to sell a stolen catalytic converter to a legitimate business in the state of Washington.” The bill enforces laws on scrap yards and auto wreckers to require proper vehicle ownership documentation from catalytic converter sellers. It also requires these businesses to record the catalytic converter ownership documentation and imposes a fine for not doing so.

Full Interview with Ms. Squire (NOTE: mostly paraphrased)

Can you give some context on the issue?

I came to school and went to get lunch from my car during 2nd period and ate lunch and everything was fine, but when I was leaving school at 2:15ish, it roared like a racecar (midsized SUV) and freaked me out. I turned it off and back on and it was doing the same thing and when pressing on the gas it got really loud. So, I drove to the maintenance place across the street from Safeway and found out that the catalytic converter and oxygen sensor were missing. I got the car back after 2 days after replacing the parts.

What purpose does a catalytic converter serve?

It’s the piece underneath a car that goes from the engine to the exhaust pipe. It’s a mechanism that helps eliminate exhaust emissions and cool down air coming out of the engine. People steal them because there are precious metals inside the catalytic converters.

How are you feeling after this issue?

It was definitely a bummer. I’ve parked in the same spot for years and it was never an issue. It was crappy luck and I’m hoping it isn’t a reoccurring problem. I also think it was really brazen for them to do it on government property during school hours.

Were you expecting this to happen at all?

No, not at all. I had no idea what was wrong until I even went to the maintenance place. I had no idea what a catalytic converter was until this problem happened.

What would you say to warn others?

Do your best to park where you can see a camera in case something happens. They couldn’t see anyone on the camera when they checked because a fence was blocking it. Be aware of unfamiliar people walking around the school.

Where was your car located?

It was in the back lot behind the cafeteria.

Sources:

CarBrain. “Catalytic Converter Replacement Cost. Repair vs Selling My Car.” Carbrain.com, 5 Jan. 2018, carbrain.com/blog/catalytic-converter-replacement-cost. Accessed 4 May 2022. Cotta, Rick. “What’s a Catalytic Converter and Why Do People Steal Them?” Cars.com, Cars.com, 13 Feb. 2022, www.cars.com/articles/whats-a-catalytic-converter-and-why-do-people-steal-them-44686 1/. Accessed 5 May 2022. King County Council News. “Dunn Proposes New Measures to Combat Skyrocketing Catalytic Converter Thefts in King County – King County.” Kingcounty.gov, 22 Mar. 2022, kingcounty.gov/council/news/2022/March/3-2-RDunn-catalytic-converter-release.aspx. Accessed 3 May 2022. MyNorthWest Staff. “Washington Legislature Passes Bill to Limit Catalytic Converter Theft.” MyNorthwest.com, 10 Mar. 2022, mynorthwest.com/3386503/legislature-passes-bill-to-limit-catalytic-converter-theft/. Accessed 5 May 2022. Sara Jean Green. “Low Risk, High Reward: Catalytic Converter Thieves Are Cashing in and Causing Financial Pain for Car Owners.” The Seattle Times, 20 Feb. 2022, www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/low-risk-high-reward-catalytic-converterthieves-are-cashing-in-and-causing-financial-pain-for-car-owners/. Accessed 3 May 2022. Timothy Fairbanks-Clouser. “WA Legislature Passes Bill to Prevent Catalytic Converter Thefts.” Columbia Basin Herald, 11 Mar. 2022, columbiabasinherald.com/news/2022/mar/11/wa-legislature-passes-bill-prevent-catalyticconve/. Accessed 9 May 2022. Universal Technical Institute. “What Is a Catalytic Converter and What Does It Do?” UTI Corporate, Universal Technical Institute, 6 Jan. 2021, www.uti.edu/blog/automotive/catalytic-converter. Accessed 3 May 2022.