The Student News Site of Renton High School

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

RHS Hawk Eye

Polls

Should RHS give water bottles as an option for lunch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Work Site Learning Tour Part 1

Were you there at one of our work site learning tours last January?  Sophomores at Renton High School were invited to tour various locations depending on their interests. Each sophomore student submitted a form regarding their interests and was placed at a specific location depending on their result. Whether they submitted the survey or not, they still had the chance to attend a work site tour. There were 11 locations that were an extraordinary learning experience providing information and skills most students never imagined appeared in a career field. The following report is on 6 of those 11 locations (Simpson Strong Tie, SEA Airport – Port of Seattle, Starbucks, Convergint, Renton Regional Fire Authority, and Costco).  We are thankful to have the chance to interview some RHS sophomores about their experience in each of these work site locations.

Simpson Strong Tie

Simpson Strong Tie is an international construction product company with careers relating to sales and business. Kenneth Martinez-Hernadez enjoyed how interconnected everyone was, as if they were family and how the atmosphere felt under pressure. He recognized different careers in the field. He said, ¨No matter what you choose, you can find good work places with good people in it.¨ What he took away from the trip is that as long as you find what suits you, you can meet people who will be there to support you. Furthermore, he can certainly see himself working in construction/manufacturing. ¨Right now, I´m in a class called Aerospace. I’m interested in working at Boeing.¨ Kenneth was fortunate to be part of a trip connected to his interests..

( RHS sophomores that were present at Simpson Strong Tie)

SEA Airport (Port of Seattle)

These students had the chance to gain an insight tour of the airfield, including being able to get near the planes. Would you see yourself working here? Maizey Wheeler mentions, ¨No, because it doesn’t align with what I want to do in the future.¨ Although Maizey was placed in a location that did not match her career and future goals, she took pleasure in adventuring and going on a scavenger hunt around the airport. She also learned something unexpected from her trip. ¨I learned that it’s so much more complicated behind the scenes.¨ She had the opportunity to observe the function of an airport.

Starbucks

Starbucks, named as the international Coffeehouse company. Students learned how the company operate their business and had the time to tour the headquarters. In Zoe Zavala´s experience, she noticed the position called “professional coffee taster.” She explains, ¨They actually have to spit out every single sample because they don´t want to overdose on coffee, they have to spit it out in a bucket.¨ At that point, she realized job opportunities in the company and into this field. She liked that she had the chance to design and draw a new Starbucks cup, but she does not see herself working in the business because it did not interest her as much as other people might have liked on this work site.

Convergint 

A Renton-based international company and Global System Integrator. Their role is to go behind the scenes of fire alarms, security, badge swipes and more for larger companies. Ophelia Steiger found the site surprisingly wonderful and interesting since it supported her to recognize many more careers outside of her horizon. As a result, she found a brand new interesting career she will consider moving forward. She can see herself working for Convergint ¨because they pay $40/an hour and you don’t need a highschool diploma.¨ She learned there are not many requirements, the pay is very reasonable, and the company is very accepting.

Renton Regional Fire Authority 

Our local fire department serves our community. Students had the remarkable chance to learn civilian roles operating the department and meet our firefighters. Lea Hughes called the experience interesting, while Niabella Goode thought it was a very fun experience. They gained an understanding of the life of a firefighter and how to become a true firefighter if you are interested. Niabella said, ¨After showing us around the entire station, we went into breakout groups and we were able to talk to each person specifically about what their job is.¨ In addition, students went through an obstacle course and engaged with multiple equipment, which Lea said was her most memorable experience, ¨The obstacle course for me, it was pretty fun. We got to wear gear and we carried heavy stuff, like the hose.¨ Niabella found it more memorable when everyone went into a real life scenario while learning CPR. Both of them found it was astonishing to see how committed our firefighters are, and all of the different kinds of situations firefighters respond to. After the trip, they now recognize a new career interest after seeing what they can do. Lea reflects, ¨I never really thought about being a firefighter before and I don’t want to be one now, but I do have more interest in it than I did before because I really got to see what they do.¨

(RHS sophomores at Renton Regional Fire Authority Station)

Costco

Headed to the Costco headquarters, students got to know more about the retail company and how they develop products. Jailen Avent-Metcalf felt it was unique to him hearing about the background of the company and to meet employees who were a similar-age as the sophomores who attended this location. Most of all, Jailen found it special to experience baking cookies, especially since it was his first time doing it. ¨Obviously it was baking the cookies. I had never baked cookies before so that was the first.¨ Jailen began to reflect about the possibility of working at Costco after the trip. ¨I guess it made Costco a cool option for me to work at since I know how the stuff works there. I think it’s a good opportunity for me to get to know about Costco before I start thinking I should work there.¨ Jailen is considering his takeaways from his experience to now consider if Costco will suit him.

(RHS sophomores and staff headed into Costco headquarters)

We hope our future RHS sophomores will gain the same amazing opportunity as our current RHS sophomores to attend the work site learning tours.  Kenneth Martinez-Hernadez and Lea Hughes advise future sophomores to take advantage of the opportunity being at the specific location you´re in. Kenneth tells us, ¨Be open minded. Pay attention. Even if you don’t want to work in that specific job, you can still take away advice and helpful tips.¨ Smiliary, Lea says, ¨Participate as much as you can because a lot of people there were shy and did not want to do anything. I think asking questions works to your advantage because you learn more things and you can actually participate and see how things are.¨ Jailen Avent-Metcalf encourages and helps future 10th graders to realize it will be a fun experience. ¨Stay calm, know it will be super fun. Honestly, just have fun.¨ We wish future 10th graders good luck at next school year´s work site learning tour 2025!

Sources (Interviewees):

• Kenneth Martinez-Hernadez
  • Maizey Wheeler
  • Zoe Zavala
  • Ophelia Steiger
  • Lea Hughes
  • Niabella Goode
  • Jailen Avent-Metcalf