Teacher Interview—Ms. Richards

Kim Anaya, Staff Writer

I had the pleasure to interview such a passionate woman who loves her job being a Language Arts/ Leadership teacher here at Renton High School. Ms.Richards has been teaching here for two years now. Richards, when she was younger, has always dreamed of being a teacher and worked really hard throughout her college years to achieve what she has now because of the difficult lifestyle in the past but is proud of how far she’s come. Richards had a rough childhood, but she did not let that ruin her hopes and dreams for her future. One thing she said was that she feared that her two children would follow the bad habits of some of her family members and always looks out for her children’s safety. A pet peeve of Mrs. Richardshers is that her two children bicker a lot over anything and everything. She says that “it seems odd to her that siblings fight a lot over anything” because growing up she never really had the chance to meet her real siblings due to her rough childhood and had to move a lot.

Richards, from a very young age, says she has always been in love with working in schools while in college. While she was studying and staying at home as a stay-at-home mom, she was a part-time para-educator which allowed her to be able to maintain herself and succeed. She did this for 20 years and she has impacted many students throughout the years because of her love for her job and how good and passionate she is about it. All the different types of experiences throughout her various educational jobs, allowed her to learn how to deal with or how to resolve an issue between her and her co-workers or people in general. She says she looks at the type of situation she is in and tries to step into the other person’s shoes and see it from their point of view to try and get a better understanding of things. She can then see better what can be done about it without getting all worked up about the situation.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience getting to learn more about one of our staff members here at Renton. It was wonderful learning about some of what this school is built on such as passionate, hard-working, and outstanding staff members who are making RHS a better place.