Watch Out for Omicron!!!

(A picture of vaccines)

(A picture of vaccines)

Ella Lambert, Writer

What’s Happening at School

You might have heard the rumors about the huge COVID-19 outbreak that is happening in the Renton School District. Some schools are canceling their sports, running out of staff members, and going back to online school because of how fast covid is spreading. Omicron is taking a hold of our academic life and it’s starting to concern a lot of families, teachers, and students. CDC still doesn’t know why Omicron is spreading so easily but they did say that you can still spread the virus to others even if you’re fully vaccinated or don’t have symptoms.

Omicron Information

The Omicron variant has been reported in South Africa, Botswana, and other countries where it is spreading very rapidly, CDC has been researching and collaborating with other countries to discover more about this new variant, research says that the Omicron variant appears to cause milder illness that can resemble the common cold, another form of the coronavirus. Dr. Katherine Poehling said that these appear to be some of the symptoms

(A microscopic visualization of the virus)

from Omicron: 

• Cough
  • Fatigue or tiredness
  • Congestion and runny nose
  • Sore throat
  • Headaches

How To Be Safer

There’s always a way to keep yourself and others safe at school and at home. If you know you have come in contact with someone who is infected even if you’re fully vaccinated it would be safer to stay home for a couple of days and immediately take a Covid test just to make sure. Doctors said that the virus can go through your mask so maybe wearing double masks can be even more effective. Washing your hands and using hand sanitizer more often could also decrease the chances of getting it, also keeping your distance from others too.

(A picture of individuals practicing safety protocols for Covid)

Unfortunately, Omicron is taking a hold of our academic life but we can always practice safety and take precautions, as students and teachers we’ve been fighting COVID-19 for the past two and a half years. This fight doesn’t seem to end anytime soon but right now we gotta keep being stronger and go through this together. We can do it, Redhawks.