World War 1

Meymun Mohamud, Staff Writer

World War I (WWI) was one of the most destructive wars that the world had ever experienced. I am highlighting some of the most important points of this war as I was amazed when learning about it, and I wanted to share this with my fellow students.

World War 1 Image 1

The causes of World War 1 included politics, secret alliances, imperialism, and nationalistic pride. However, there was one single event, the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, which started a chain of events leading to war. Britain and its Empire’s entry into the war made this a truly global conflict fought on a geographical scale never seen before. Fighting occurred not only on the Western Front but in Eastern and Southeast Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. The simplest answer is that the immediate cause was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, the archduke of Austria-Hungary, His death at the hands of Gavrilo Princip – a Serbian nationalist with ties to the secretive military group known as the Black Hand – propelled the major European military powers towards war.

World War 1 Image 2

It became known as the Great War because it affected people all over the world and was the biggest war anyone had ever known. It even came to be known as “the war to end all wars” as no conflict before WWI had caused destruction on this scale before.

In WWI, the Allied Powers ended up as the winners the main countries that were part of the Allied Powers were the United Kingdom, France, and the United States. Russia had been part of the Allied Powers at the start of the war but ended up surrendering after the Russian Revolution.

If you are interested in learning more, please visit this website: https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/world-war-i-history